Margaret's Hope Chest

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I was connected to Margaret's Hope Chest through Amanda Jean's retreat last summer. I am so impressed with the mission of the organization and the two women who run it. Carin and Carol are just the sweetest people ever and it is so inspiring to see how they have turned a family tragedy into an organization that helps so many people in need.
Alexia's Birthday Quilt
Here are the two quilts that I've donated. This is the second year of their Wrapped in Hope campaign, which gives personalized birthday quilts to children who have parents who are in prison. I made this quilt for Alexia who likes black, white, blue, purple and music. I used this pattern from a quilt I made a few years ago in the color scheme she requested and added some Alexander Henry music fabric for the binding.
binding detail
I finished up this quilt in November after having completed the top at the summer retreat. The pattern I used is the Fair and Square pattern that Amanda Jean designed for Margaret's Hope Chest.

Fair and Square
If you're looking for a great charity to donate to and have extra time to make a quilt, please consider making a quilt for MHC. You can find a list of children who have requested birthday quilts here.

14 comments

  1. Both quilts look great - I especially like the solids, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful Rebekah - they are both gorgeous - the music binding is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are beautiful and so sweet of you to donate them. Your Icelandic sweaters are just GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous quilts and how nice of you to donate them. I went and looked at the list, and got all teared up. I sent an email and hope to also make a quilt to donate, thanks for sharing the link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful quilts for a wonderful cause.
    you have such a big generous heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i LOVE the quilts! i still need to make one of those in solids. i loved the first version you made, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quilts, great cause! I especially love the music quilt, those colors are great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a beautiful way to share your talents! thinking of you. xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. they are both absolutely wonderful! what a beautiful thing to do for a wonderful cause. you are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi - it's Amy, Carin's sister. I was just do some searching tonight and landed on your blog and this post. The first quilt is awesome. I love the colors.
    It wasn't until after the weekend in July that I figured out who you were. I found you long ago through Sew Mama Sew and bookmarked your blog when you were featured your Handkerchief Corners Quilt. The quilt served as inspiration for the quilting on the quilt I made for our bed.
    Did you ever start sewing clothes?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I was a winner in a Fall blog giveaway, and won a gorgeous quilt from them for the 18mo old daughter of a friend who was diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer. It's an amazing cause that touches so many hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are beautiful!! How generous of you to donate your time and talent to this organization.
    P.S.- LOVE your new-to-me header!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello!!
    I was thinking about you, on your beautiful quilts and how I love to come here... hope you are great!
    xo
    RosaMaría

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It