Garden 2010: Week 5

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

We are slowly getting to that time of the summer where all of our hard work in the garden is paying off.
2010 Garden: Week 5
(I decided to weed the garden again on Sunday and now it's blog presentable once again).

Exhibit 1: Radishes!
Yay for Radishes!!!

Exhibit 2: French Breakfast Radishes!
Yay for Radishes!!!
You haven't lived until you've tasted radishes fresh from the garden. They are nothing like bland, store-bought radishes. They're super crispy and extra spicy and so delicious. I like to eat them like potato chips.

Our plants are starting to properly trellis...
2010 Garden: Week 5
pole beans (may need to bring out taller trellis poles for these)

2010 Garden: Week 5
cucumbers (on an upside-down tomato cage secured at the top with twine)

2010 Garden: Week 5
butternut squash

2010 Garden: Week 5
Zucchini (I'm afraid that we planted the non-trailing zucchini and squash varieties, so perhaps the right side of the squash trellis won't be used this summer).

All of the plants that we started by seed are popping up, too. We did
lose some leeks and green onions, but for the most part, everything is
doing well.
2010 Garden: Week 5
beets, parsnips, turnips, onions, carrots and purple carrots

2010 Garden: Week 5
The swiss chard, kale and okra are coming along nicely as well (I accidentally weeded 2 swiss chard plants that I need to replace soon). I've never eaten okra before...I'm accepting any great suggestions for okra dishes if you care to share!

And I finally cut into my row of precious basil...
2010 Garden: Week 5
...and turned it into fresh pesto for this delicious pizza we grilled:

grilled pizza
topped with pesto, pine nuts, tomatoes, red onions, broccoli, mushrooms and roasted garlic. (Next time we'll make sure that the bottom doesn't char! oops!)

As you can probably tell, it's been a great week in the garden! The garden and I are back on good terms after last week's depressing post. :)

20 comments

  1. Your garden looks amazing! Those radishes are gorgeous. Wow, and that pizza looks so fresh. I am super impressed. My tomato plants are still alive, but they are so small. I don't know if I ever will get tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very impressive!! the only thing we've eaten from our tiny container garden is the basil. my green beans are still teeny tiny and so far only 2 of them has come out (i planted 8) =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. your garden looks so neat & tidy ...maybe i should get out (in the heat) & weed mine hmmm ...pizza looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man, that pizza looks fantastic!!
    what a clever idea to use upsidedown tomato cages for your cucumbers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden looks great! Those radishes are gorgeous. In California, gardens like this take a ton of water - which is so much work (it doesn't rain in the summer). I used to responsible for growing the cucumbers when I was a child because it was one of the few veggies I would eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. your garden looks fantastic! your pizza looks very yummy too. i might have to try that. pesto, cheeseless pizza is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am SO impressed with your garden - that pizza looks absolutely delicious! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden looks amazing! You will have so many things to eat this year! The pizza looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay....I know enough not to call you Becky -- but can I call you a farmer? Your garden looks wonderful. You must be so proud! And that pizza (I missed lunch and ate a salad for dinner so I'm drooling right now). Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I'm so jealous of your veggie patch! It's wonderful. Can't wait to see how it grows.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pizza looks absolutely delicious!
    I started my indoor garden (no lawn with my apartment :( so we'll see what grows this year - I'm doing lettuce varieties, basil and tomatoes. No idea what you do with ocra... but a former boyfriend once made filled zucchini flowers for me, those were pretty yummy (filled with some kind of cream cheese mix), though I admit I didn't much taste the flowers...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can not even read the word radishes without thinking of the Fraggles.
    They look delightfully sharp. Beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yum! those veggies definately found a good use!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The garden looks fabulous. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So jealous! Your garden is beautiful! We're apartment living this summer and I'm missing my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could eat radishes every day and twice on Sundays. ;) Your garden is beautiful. I covet your basil.

    ReplyDelete
  17. with that pizza my mouth is water now!
    I admire how organized you are! your garden is fantastic and the photos of every week are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Harvest looks cool :) I enjoyed each and very picture on your blog and your garden work is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love fresh home grown veggies! If i am allowed to say so, I am a little jealous???(maybe not a little) of having a garden and growing own veggies! Pinch me, please!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It