digging in!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Ahh! The sweet relief finishing up my degree. Thanks so much for all of your congratulatory comments!

So far, I have enjoyed...

...sleeping in on Saturday
...going for a leisurely Sunday afternoon ride with Jon
manicured pear trees
(hello gorgeously pruned pear trees in ritzy neighborhoods)

...running errands with Jon because I have free time now
...reading new books that I've been wanting to read all semester (Jar City, The Glass Maker's Daughter)
...finishing up some quilts (more to come on this front)
...attending a super inspiring music seminar
...learning how to weave and starting on my first rigid heddle loom project


On Sunday, Jon and I were able to get our garden prepared for this summer. We weeded it, added compost from our bin, tilled it and rearranged the rows (ouch, my fingers and hands are still aching from all of that weed pulling!).
the garden 2010
Our lonely chives are looking forward to more company. We need to start adding chives to all our recipes, stat!
seed experiment 2010
We're hoping that our second try at growing seeds inside will prove to be better than last year's failure...fingers crossed here!

I stumbled across this super helpful gardening blog yesterday, digginfood, which is written by a master gardener. I think we're going to make her diy squash trellis and cucumber trellis to try and contain these plants better this year.

If you're into gardening, do you have any helpful sites that you frequent?
jon's beloved moss
I'll leave you with Jon's photograph of his japanese garden. Jon is obsessed with growing his moss and will talk your ear off if you ask him for bonsai or moss advice...it's really cute when he gets excited about his plants.

19 comments

  1. I'm so jealous of your little growing garden! I really want a vegetable garden too, but I'm the absolute worst at keeping plants alive. And that's a great shot by your husband! I wish my boyfriend was into gardening, even just a little bit, but I doubt that he'd be any better at it than me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks great! I've been a little overwhelmed with all the yard work that our first summer in our house entails. So I'm planning to buy my plants this year, but hopefully grew them from seeds in coming years.
    Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaaaaaay congrats on finishing your degree! You better get busy with quilting now... no excuses! Heehee!
    I haven't even thought about our garden... my husband has yet to bust out the lawnmower! I think it's too cute Jon's so into his Japanese garden lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you totally finished with your degree now? If so, it must feel absolutely wonderful! Are you a flautist, also? So many talents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cute about Jon and his garden - I love to see my hubby excited about stuff. And congrats!!! How exciting - enjoy all your free time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yahoo! No more classes. It's so refreshing to just *live*. It looks like your days are full of goodness now. And Jon and growing moss--so great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations on finishing!!
    glad you enjoyed your weekend - the garden is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you're livin it up! Way to enjoy the free time!
    I have at least three lonely chive clumps. I really need to use them more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i know what you mean about cute men loving nature--i love it when jay gets excited about our birdfeeders!
    congrats on your degree--i told you you'd finish yours first. jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your degree! Your free time must be so lovely, and you've earned it.
    Your garden looks like so much work, lol - I've never had one, but I'd sure love to try. I'll check out the site you linked!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I grew moss for a while, well until we had a kid and replaced that area with a swing set. Looks like you have been enjoying your days, and it sounds like lots more fun things are on the way. Enjoy this time and I can't wait to see what you plant in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! I'm sure being finished feels wonderful. Enjoy your freedom. Can't wait to see the quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't forget to say something delightfully hoity-toit and follow it up with a smarmy, tongue-in-cheek, "I have my master's degree, you know..." Preferably with a faux british accent. You have earned it!!
    I wish you a bountiful harvest and Jon a successful moss-ing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! Now you can craft to your heart's content.
    I love seeing the garden in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  15. congrats on finishing your degree! woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. yeah for you! school complete- check, check. now on to bigger things!

    ReplyDelete
  17. is great hear you are enjoying your freedom :)
    love gardening too. Hope this will be a great year for harvest! Jon's photos is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on finishing school. What a wonderful feeling that has to be. Here comes a cyber pat on the back!
    And yes, your chives look lonely. I have all my herbs together in a little bed together. And of course, that's where the dog likes to sit. No lonely chives in my garden. Good luck with those seeds. I never have much luck planting from seed -- fortunately there's a little flower barn up the hill from where I live and I am always sneaking away to buy just one more thing for the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  19. such a wonderful way to start off relishing in the completion of your degree! a huge congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It