putting idea books to use: my projects

Friday, February 19, 2010

Putting Idea Books to Use
Because I didn't get around to posting the details of the projects that I made for the challenge earlier this week, here they are...

I focused on using the Weekend Sewing Book and made the Weekend Away Bag and the Everything Tote. (I'm just going to do you all a little favor and link to the errata for the book right away).
weekend away tote bag

weekend away tote bag
This is my first attempt at a lined zippered bag. I really like the fabric and zipper color that I used, but I was just not a big fan of the design of the pattern. All of the other projects online made with this pattern turned out great, so it's probably just a user error on my part (sewing from patterns has not been so good for me lately with everything else I have on my plate).

After being defeated by this pattern, I sought out a different zippered bag tutorial to follow and came across this genius tutorial at Flossie Teacakes.
zippered pouch
I managed to mess up this bag by not trimming the corners around the zipper. The corners aren't square on the final project and I didn't want to undo the bag and start over. (It was at this point that I swore off all sewing for good and took a nice long break from my machine!). At least the fabric is fun, right?

zippered pouch
So, after switching to knitting for a while to find comfort in a stress free and stress relieving hobby (for me at least), I finally made my way back to my sewing machine to make the Weekend Away Bag for the giveaway. The most glaring error on this pattern was that you need 1 yard each for the outside and lining (not 1/2 yard as the book states). Luckily, I had plenty of extra fabric on hand and I avoided a tragedy!
weekend tote
The instructions for this pattern were fairly thorough, but I relied on this tutorial for a bias tape tote to attach the handles and finish off the bag. Both bags are very similar, but the Everything Tote is just a million times bigger.

Basically, the Weekend Sewing book is total eye candy, especially because it uses so many of Heather Ross' fabrics in the projects, but the directions for the projects could stand to be a bit more clear and accurate.

16 comments

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. The errata with Weekend Sewing is way over the top. Nice eye candy though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that the Weekend Sewing zippered pouch pattern didn't work out for you, but I think it's gorgeous! I love the fabrics you selected. The Flossie Teacakes tutorial looks very similar to a pattern I use, and I really like the zipper method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I LOVE your projects - I think you did great!!! Love the fabrics you used. I have a horrible time following a pattern - but I can't knit to relieve the stress, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your projects turned out great. I felt super defeated by the bias tape bag--that handle threw me for a good one. Next one I make I'm going to check out that handy tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your projects look great! I'm glad to hear I am not the only one who has had problems with Weekend Sewing. Each time I have sat down to make something from that book I find that I unexpectedly did not have enough fabric. Because if this, I have yet to complete a project from this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made the Wrap Skirt from Weekend Sewing and loved it, but I had to use several more panels than even the errata called for in my size. I am still happy I own the book, but I think they needed more test sewers. Almost everything I see made out of it the sewer has made an adjustment (or modified it for their own design elements, which means they can't tell if they needed an adjustment).

    ReplyDelete
  7. fantastic!!
    i love the corduroy bag - it's perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really made some great things - love that green bag. Thanks for the zip bag link - hopefully I can use it to perfect my zipper pouches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my goodness, you are so good! they are completely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your projects turned out fantastic and I love your review and comments about the patterns you followed. It is so helpful to know about problems ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. okay, so I totally missed the requirement to do the projects in one month! I'm using your challenge all year, to complete projects along the way. I'll post my success in april. I think your bags look great! I'm just beginning my sewing adventure, so all your tips really help us beginners!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all your work! Great color choice.. and super dumper finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great proyecto! i love that corduroy bag, is so simple and pretty!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have some corduroy I have been dying to make that bag with from Weekend Sewing. I think it's been sitting in the bowl waiting next to my machine for over a year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so amazing. I love all of these projects!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the first make-up bag looks fantastic, but I love what you've made from my tutorial - thank you so much for the mention!
    Florence x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It