bread, dinner, tulips and dish cloths

Tuesday, April 22, 2008





I jumped on the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day bandwagon last weekend and we've been enjoying fresh baked bread around here. We're both excited about all of the bread possibilities this book brings. There's not much else that I can add to the conversation that's been going on about this book here, here, and here, so just enjoy the pictures! I do have a little warning though: glass pyrex dishes are not safe at 450 degrees! I had one shatter in the oven yesterday while I was baking the bread. The book says to use a broiling pan with one cup of water to add steam to the cook time. I thought my pyrex dish would be a good substitute for our non-existent broiling pan, but it definitely wasn't!











Have I ever mentioned how lucky I am that Jon enjoys cooking so often? Well, I am! He put together this tasty bowl of udon noodles with tofu, scallions and mushrooms last night. Now, if only Jon also had a burning passion to do the laundry...he'd be 100% perfect (sadly, neither of us enjoy this task)!







Our first tulips have finally bloomed! They've been slowly creeping up this spring and they finally made their debut this morning. I'm so happy that all the money we spent on them at the tulip farm last summer didn't go to waste. So far 4 have bloomed, only 96 more to go!







And I so wasn't joking about only knitting dish cloths from now on. I stocked up on the sugar n cream cotton yarn this weekend, and I should have enough to use throughout the summer while I'm sitting outside and enjoying the weather. Now, we just need to put our hammocks up in the backyard and we'll be all set!



16 comments

  1. Wow that bread looks g-o-o-d, especially with the soup. Another wow to those tulips...they are too pretty! Can I say one more WOW that you bought 100 of them??!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on the dutch tulips!!!! any pictures of your pyrex? get a front-loading washer and your passions of saving money and doing laundry will explode :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book is on my Amazon list. I just ordered a cookbook, so I decided to wait on the bread book. It's cropping up on everyone's blog. I can't take it anymore. I have to get it soon.
    I like the colors you are using on your dishcloths.
    Don't be fooled by the sweet photos of my baby. I am exhausted. Don't do it!!! (Just kidding, it's a lot of work, but it's the best thing I have ever done. I still can't believe that I have a daughter sometimes.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummm! Especially the bread...i'm such a bread addict. All those tulips are going to be spectacular...so worth the money!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have tulips already? so far, all i've got are pretty green leaves. i'm on the waiting list for the bread book at the library. hopefully it will arrive before it gets too hot to bake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One thing that makes (folding) laundry more fun is to dump it on the couch and fold it while watching TV. I've gotten so that I can do most of it while still looking at the screen--matching socks are difficult, but the rest of it goes by quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. those tulips are gorgeous.
    and your bread looks delicious. I need to check out that book. I think melissa of all buttoned up was talking about that book too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY YOU DID IT! Isn't it wonderful? I tried the light whole wheat one last week and it is also delicious! Too bad about your dish though! Also, I was a bit irritated about all the errors in the book - have you checked out their errata page? Some are pretty significant: http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?page_id=73

    ReplyDelete
  9. My boyfriend happens to be the cook in my family. He actually has been making a few things with udon noddles too. We basically had it like yours with beef, not much broth, scallions, mushrooms, oh yeah and a can of veggies. I would skip the can next time and just do fresh...But we love udon too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm, homemade bread - the best! The soup looks pretty good, too.
    Beautiful tulips, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the dishcloth, and cotton yarn. I don't think anyone can have too much of it. I too am lucky to have a husband that likes to cook. I don't know where I'd be without him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The soup looks delicious. I love udon noodles. I've never tried it with tofu - any tips on how to use it? I'm tofu-inexperienced.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That bread looks amazingly delicious! And the dish cloth is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tag Rebekah! You make my day...check my blog for details!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Rebekah: I'm Jeff Hertzberg, one of the book's co-authors. Thanks for trying the bread. Please visit us at www.artisanbreadinfive.com if you have any questions or comments--- just click on any "Comments" field.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! That shot of your bread is worthy of a large glossy page in a bread book. Yum! I will have to look into this book that you mention. It sounds much more approachable than some of the bread books I have tried in the past.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to leave your email address if you would like a response from me.

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It